Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Lists and a productive evening!

I am starting to like lists. For some reason, if you make a list, whether mental or written, the chances of things actually happening seem to increase. At least this is what I have found.

Last night when my husband got home from work, I informed him of my list of things I wanted to accomplish before bed so that he could help ensure that I/we accomplished all items. Several items on that list had to do with tonight's dinner. I had just purchased some pork shoulder roasts the other day with the intention of making BBQ pulled pork. In doing some research on recipes, I came across a spice mix that was rubbed on the pork 3+ hours in advance of cooking. Let me tell you, that spice-rubbed pork sitting in my crock-pot all day has been smelling GOOD!!

Another item on the list was this:
My favorite part of the library right now is the cooking section. New cookbooks with recipes to try, and just information on cooking in general. While browsing this section last week, I came across a novel called "The art of eating in: How I learned to stop spending and love the stove." It was written by a gal who lived in NY and decided not to eat out for 2 years, and blogged about it through those years. Now she has written a book about it. While reading said book, I came across a recipe for 'No-knead Bread'. I'm sure I've heard about it before and all, but never really looked at a recipe and realized how easy this bread would be. The biggest factor in this bread, is that the dough has to sit for a minimum of 12 hours, and is even better after 18 hours. So last night, I mixed together bread dough, and spiced the pork.

I just had a piece of fresh bread..mmmm yummy! And it looks like a loaf found at a bakery! I think I just might be sold. If it still tastes just as good tonight when we have it for dinner, I think I might be making "no-knead bread" on a very regular basis.

Well, it sounds as though my son is waking up from his nap and the pork is just about in need of shredding...gotta run!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

The bread looks delicious! I love a good bread. Happy recipe hunting! There are so many neat recipes in cyberspace. I appreciate recipe recommendations, especially. Any help weeding through the mediocre recipes to find the excellent ones is appreciated! Keep it up! :)

sarah said...

Wow, Lindsay - the bread looks great! I think I have a similar recipe from a book called (I think) Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. I haven't made any recently (you need some space in the fridge) but now I think I need some! :) Hope you all are well. Hugs!

Rambling Tart said...

Good job, Lindsay! That bread is beautiful! :-) Your pulled pork sounds amazing too. Will you share the recipes?!! :-)